Touch the Boat

No comments

Have you ever re-watched a movie and seen something that you had never noticed before?

Anyone who has known me a while knows that I love movies. And rewatching them. A lot. Maybe too much. If that is a thing. 

I recently went to see "Spiderman: No Way Home" in theaters two days in a row in case I missed any small detail the first time seeing it. I also recently watched Disney's "Encanto" on Disney+ after already seeing it in theaters twice. With my last bit of energy that night I turned on "Finding Nemo" just because I missed the ocean. 

Although I have probably watched "Finding Nemo" more than 50 times, I could not doze off before my favorite scene. Nemo swims past the drop-off and surprises all of his new friends by touching "The Butt." (If you don't know what I am talking about please go watch this film right this very second.)

Perhaps it was the fatigue of travel and madness of the holiday season, or the unhealthy amount of Christmas sugar cookies I ate that night, but I had this lingering contemplation as I dozed off to sleep about the word "Butt." 

Ooops, sorry, "But."

Yeah, no, I was not thinking about people's behinds. Rather I was thinking about what some people leave behind because someone said the word "But" to them about an idea they were truly passionate about pursuing.  


I have been SO fortunate to have spent most of my adult life surrounded by passionate people who are a lot like me and who I can easily connect with. Folks and friends who are passionate about art, music and theater. Passionate about conservation and animals. Passionate about human rights and caring for those without a voice. 

I am also equally as fortunate to be around people not like me. People who have passion for numbers and logistics and other science-y words I don't know. People and friends whose strengths are in blooming where they are planted and having an enormous sense of their priorities and boundaries. Traits I often wish came more naturally to me. 

When loved ones have listened to me carry on about my latest big idea or dream and followed it with lovingly concern,  I do know it is out of love. I also know that I cannot change who I am or the way I tick. Most importantly, I cannot change the way I know how to love others. That I believe is why when anyone says the word "But," to me, I don't actually hear it.  

I hear the word "Boat." So back to "Finding Nemo." 



(Spoiler Alert)
In fact, Nemo does not swim out to touch a "Butt." (This is a movie for children, c'mon.) He touches a boat. 

And was very brave to do so. Nemo leaves the safety of his home, despite his "Lucky Fin," which makes him quite different than other fish, and despite the immense anger his father is bound to have with him for making this choice. This choice however propels Nemo on a huge adventure, showing him, his father, and their new friend Dory more than they could ever imagine. They experience danger, adventure, diversity, travel, and real loveMy crazy travels, job changes, and location changes, have given me all of these things as well. I've seen things and held hands that are locked in my soul. 

I guess I am writing this to say I am thankful for those in my life who support my wild ideas and try to protect me with the word "But." Yet, if there is anything I am proud of myself for, it is remaining who I am to the core. And that person only hears the word "Boat." 


Safe sails to my fellow dreamers! Grab on and trust that the tides will lead you right where you need to be. No "ifs," "ands" or "butts." See you on the open seas. 


No comments